The JLGNH has partnered with Connecticut Food Bank (CFB) for our 4th and 5th consecutive years to support the CFB’s mission to alleviate hunger by supplying food products and resources to 650 agencies/soup kitchens/shelters and pantries and by promoting public awareness of this issue of hunger. The CFB is the largest centralized source of donated, emergency food in Connecticut. By supporting their mission, we are strengthening the community we live in and service.
In Connecticut there are 280,000 people at risk of hunger every year, and the numbers are increasing daily as more people are experiencing unemployment and a decrease in available resources. There is already a report of a 20% increase in people at risk of hunger since February 2008.
According to Share our Strength , the following are just some of the issues that face the New Haven area and other cities around the country:
- One in six children is at risk of hunger.
- One in ten households in America
- One in three persons standing in a soup kitchen line is a child.
- 89% of low income children who receive school lunch do not receive regular meals during the summer.
- 59% of food stamp recipients are children.
- One summer of poor nutrition will seriously impair a child’s ability to learn.
- 12.6 million children in America wonder if they will eat in the morning.
- 13% of families with children under 6 years old face hunger.
- 60% of requests for emergency food assistance come from families with children.
- One in five American households with children lives at risk of hunger.
The JLGNH's multi-year Fighting Hunger Project includes the following annual activities which benefit the Connecticut Food Bank and its recipient agencies and families:
- Two annual community education activities that mobilize the community around the issue of hunger
- Volunteer support during Thanksgiving For All and Stamp Out Hunger
- Super Saturday Food Drive(day before the Super Bowl)
- Walk Against Hunger Team support/volunteer support
The League is also the sponsor of CFB's Virtual Food Drive, where a $10 donation can purchase 40 meals for families in need. Visit the Virtual Food Drive to contribute today!
Click on the following links to read more about past events from the League's partnership with the Connecticut Food Bank:
- Walk Against Hunger Delivers! (May 2011)
- Provisional Class Calci-Yum Event (April 2011)
- Thanksgiving for All at the Yale Bowl (November 2010)
- Junior Leaguers Volunteer at the Community Dining Room (October 2010)
- Happy Hour at Geronimo's Supports the Connecticut Food Bank (June 2010)
- Junior Leaguers Walk Against Hunger (May 2010)
- Join the JLGNH 2010 Walk Against Hunger Team
- Super Saturday Feb 6 Food Drive Press Release (pdf)
- Junior Leaguers Sort Food with the Connecticut Food Bank
- Food Drive at the New Haven Symphony Orchestra (December 2009)
- Hunger Awareness Happy Hour (September 2009)
- JLGNH Walk Against Hunger (May 2009)